Meet the Zoo Experience Students

Beginning Monday, July 22nd, four students will arrive at the Big Bear Alpine Zoo for the start of the second annual, week-long Zoo Experience camp. Each day, the students, accompanied by an AAUW mentor, will learn the ins and outs of animal care at our Zoo, as they go behind the scene with zookeepers, learn about bio facts from zoo curator, Bob Cisneros, and then brush up on their photography and writing skills with a professional journalist. At the end of each day, the students will share their experiences and their photos on this blog site.

Let's meet our four amazing young women and learn why they wanted to participate in the Zoo Experience.

Karly Vizzini
Yucaipa High School student Karly Vizzini wanted to participate in the program because she wants to be a zoo veterinarian. "I hope to learn what it is like to work in a zoo environment and to take care of animals. I think zoos are important because not only do they care for animals but also provide interaction between humans and animals that most people would not be able to have.

Jasmine Esperanza Moreno
Big Bear High School student, Jasmine Esperanza Moreno wanted to participate to learn something new. "I hope to learn more about the animals that live around me. I also hope to learn more about the Big Bear Zoo and how the zoo helps injured animals and what the process is. I hope to expand my love for the animals as I learn more about them. I like that our zoo helps hurt animals and helps heal the animals so they can go back home. I also like that the zoo keeps animals that can no longer fend for themselves."

Bibian Castillon

Big Bear High School student, Bibian Castillon wanted to participate because she loves animals and wants to learn more about them. "I want to learn how to take care of different animals and how they act. I also want to be able to work on being less introverted. I think working with people will help. I have always loved animals and I'd like to have a profession where I can help them."

Nicole Marie Sannes

Big Bear High School student, Nicole Marie Sannes wanted to participate because this was an incredible opportunity to work with exotic animals. "I'm planning on pursuing a career in veterinarian medicine, so I am hoping to learn if I have an interest in specializing in exotic animals. I love that our Zoo is a rescue for animals with the main focus being on rehabilitation and care. Zoos are incredibly important to conserve, protect and care for a variety of animals."






1 comment:

Christie Walker Bos said...

A great first day at camp. The girls were awesome.

Day 5 - The Zoo Experience

The Last Day Today was the last day of the week-long Zoo Experience camp at the Big Bear Alpine Zoo. After a morning spent with the zookeep...