The Zoo Experience Day Five

Jill Myers, The Zoo Experience Director, Melissa Ellis,
Bob Cisneros, Zoo Curator, Kelly Mount, and Christie Walker, The Zoo Experience Asst. Director
MY ZOO EXPERIENCE

This has been one of the best weeks of my entire life. I have loved everything about this program. It was amazing how we were able to follow our zookeepers almost everywhere they went. When you watch them work, you can definitely tell how much they care about the animals. I’ve noticed that everyone that works at the zoo knows what they’re doing and they never make a mistake. 
Kelly Mount

I don’t want this week to be over. I learned so much about each animal and so much about all of the zookeepers and what they do every day. I honestly want to do something this important sometime in the future.
Kelly Mount

Lotus Blossom is a female badger. She was rescued in 2005
at one-year-old. She was found on the side of the road and
was hand-raised. Photo by Kelly Mount


HOW THIS EXPERIENCE CHANGED MY LIFE

Melissa Ellis
This whole week was one of the most amazing and insightful weeks of my life. This experience has been filled with so much valuable information, which I'll be able to use when  considering my future profession. 

As I’ve said before, I have wanted to be a veterinarian since I was very little and now this program has opened my eyes to the world of zoology and being a zookeeper, which has been very beneficial to me. The program has allowed me to highly consider the field of zoology as a profession.

Luna is a female ringtail cat that was rescued in 2011.
Photo by Melissa Ellis









I wish my week at the zoo wasn’t over but I hope that this first Zoo Experience has set a good foundation for the lucky girls who will get to participate in the years to come.
Melissa Ellis

Thank you Village Pizza for providing lunch for the students, mentors and staff. 





Melissa and Kelly having a "beary" good
time at the first annual Zoo Experience.



5 comments:

Christie Walker Bos said...

It was such an amazing experience to watch how excited Melissa and Kelly were when they were talking about the animals. They learned so much and embraced the experience one hundred percent.

Jan☺ Bryant said...

Great Day and Zoo Experience week!!! Enjoyed the KZoo interviews too. Thanks everyone!

Unknown said...

I read about the Zoo Experience every day this week. Such a joy to see how much these young ladies learned and how they truly enjoyed the week. The Blog looks great too! Awesome job by all.

Marianne Lins said...

What a life-changing week for all. Watching the girls blossom as public speakers and hearing the knowledge they gained was so inspiring. The information and excitement from all the zoo-keepers has me considering a career change. It's so wonderful to be part of a program that teaches conservation and education in this way. Thank you Bob Cisneros and AAUW for this opportunity, for the girls, me and the public.

Unknown said...

What a wonderful opportunity for these girls - a true hands-on learning experience. We (AAUW) learned alot and look for forward to doing this again next summer. Kelly and Melissa will be able to share their experiences with the 11th grades girls during the school year and I'm sure many of them will be anxious to enroll in the program for the summer of 2019.

Day 5 - The Zoo Experience

The Last Day Today was the last day of the week-long Zoo Experience camp at the Big Bear Alpine Zoo. After a morning spent with the zookeep...