Day 1 - The Zoo Experience

Rain didn't stop our four Zoo Camp participants from
enjoying their first day at the zoo.
Photo by Nicole Sannes
 A Furry First Impression
The first day at the zoo camp exceeded every expectation. Our zookeepers, Paula and Ashley, were very thorough in their explanations and open to questions and discussion. My mentor and I met Aurora, the arctic fox, and Kit-Kat, the kit fox. To watch the keepers feed and interact with the animals was unique and exciting, and I am very excited for the upcoming days I will be spending at the zoo!
Nicole Sannes


Photo by Karly Vizzini
At Home at the Zoo
The first day of camp can be nerve wracking, but today I've never felt more at home. This quint little zoo has so much to offer...not just to the public but for the animals as well. I look forward to continuing to learn about these animals and the care they receive, as the week goes on.
Karly Vizzini 




Photo by
Bibiana Castillon
Expectations Blown Out of the Water
The zoo camp wasn't how I originally expected it to be. I thought we wouldn't be too involved with the behind-the-scene process. To be honest, I wasn't sure what I expected. You can imagine my pleasant surprise when I walked in and was told what we would be doing... going behind-the-scenes with the zookeepers. My expectations were blown out of the water and I'm glad they were. I just know that tomorrow will be just as amazing.
Bibiana Castillon





Photo by Jasmine Moreno
Baby and Shakespeare
Today's experience was unexpected because of all that I learned on the first day. After the bobcats were secured in a separate enclosure, I was able to go inside Baby and Shakespeare's enclosure with the zookeeper, to help pick and choose where to put their enrichment. (Which was the scent of  cinnamon.) I learned how the zookeepers must be very precise about how they keep the animals engaged and how they are fed. Placing the bobcat enrichment was exciting because it was new and very different from anything I have ever done.
Jasmine Moreno



Thank you to Mountain Munchies for providing lunch today for the mentors and students. 

No comments:

Day 5 - The Zoo Experience

The Last Day Today was the last day of the week-long Zoo Experience camp at the Big Bear Alpine Zoo. After a morning spent with the zookeep...