Day 3 - The Zoo Experience

Day Three at the Zoo Experience
Coyotes Lytic (rescued in 2005) and Simba (rescued in 2013).
Zoo Through Translation
As always, this zoo experience has taught me many new things. There was one thing that stood out to me today. As I was following Danielle, the topic of tour guides for the zoo came up. As the conversation developed, so did my interest. I have always been fascinated with languages and I aspire to be an interpreter. Knowing the importance of languages for zoo tour guides will surely stay with me as I pursue my future career.
Bibiana Castillon




This is Princess Bella, a chinchilla who was
donated to the zoo in 2011. 
The Zoo Has Changed My Life
For as long as I can remember, I've always known what I've wanted to do with my life and the career path I'd follow. But spending time here at the zoo has changed that. This internship has allowed me to learn and receive advice from people who share the same passions as myself and who work in my desired career field. The one thing that everyone keeps repeating is...get as much experience as possible. They explained that your experiences are just as important as your education. I feel truly blessed to have received this wisdom that I can apply to
my future career.
Karly Vizzini






This spotted gecko is one of the many residents of the
Reptile House at the zoo.
Meeting the Zoo "Camp Nurse"
Today, we worked with Krystal, one of the zookeepers. She is in charge of a smaller string or group of animals because she is also tasked with the medical care of all the animals as well. She is a certified vet technician, and described herself as the "camp nurse" for the zoo. It was very interesting to shadow her because of my interest in veterinary medicine. Treating zoo animals is very unique because there in not a lot of published materials on exotic animal care. There are not specific medications for different species. For example, wolves are given medication that is designed for dogs, not necessarily for wolves. Shadowing Krystal provided wonderful insight into the daily life as a veterinarian at a zoo.
Nicole Sannes



Did you know that water helps enhance
a raccoon's sense of touch?
Animals and People
There are many interesting skills you can learn while being at the zoo that you can use later in life. Imagine seeing two snow leopards at the zoo and learning that they have a genetic defect. Learning about how re-population with a genetic defect can decrease the survival rate of a wild animal was incredible.  Think about seeing bobcats, coyotes and snow leopards and noticing them doing a certain behavior, then thinking about how a zookeeper can interpret that behavior as normal or out of normal. Learning this helps me interpret how people are acting and what it might mean.
Jasmine Moreno


Thank you to Jersey Mike's for the delicious sub sandwiches for the students and staff. 

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I am so proud of these girls! They are curious, motivated, and so much fun. I feel that our mission to expose them to careers in the animal sciences is being fulfilled.

Jan☺ Bryant said...

So thrilled to see the students exposed to new learning experiences in such an interesting and supportive environment. Love seeing their pictures and comments in this blog...stepping stones to their future!

Anonymous said...

Great group of girls. Well spoken and intelligent.

Day 5 - The Zoo Experience

The Last Day Today was the last day of the week-long Zoo Experience camp at the Big Bear Alpine Zoo. After a morning spent with the zookeep...