Day 4 - The Zoo Experience

Day four for our intrepid students who carried on despite
rain, rain, and more rain. 

This is Baby, the bobcat, waiting intensely
and patiently for her food.

Happiness is Contagious
So far this week, the American Badger, Lotus Blossom, has been the animal to steal my heart. Her noticeable and happy personality makes it difficult for you not to fall in love with her.

Upon arriving at her enclosure with zookeeper Katie, Lotus greeted us by climbing on the fence and happily pacing along the fence while waiting for her food. Her happiness is contagious, which has caused me to fall in love.
Karly Vizzini










It's almost nap time for these sleepy leopards on this rainy day.
Bigger than a Cat. Smaller than a Lion
The particular habits of bobcats are very similar to a typical house cat. These animals interested me because of the specific traits they have. I have a kitten and I was able to make the connection between how they act and interact. For example, putting two bobcats together can cause them to fight with each other because they are basically solitary creatures. Also, when a bobcat rubs up on something, same as a house cat, they are claiming or marking their territory.
Jasmine Moreno



Meet Maid Marion, the female red fox at the zoo.
Steal from the Rich, Give to the Poor
Interacting with all the animals these past four days has been an incredible experience. All the animals are interesting, but the pair of red foxes are my favorite. There is a male fox named Robin, and a female named Marion. A unique fact about foxes is that they mate for life.

Even though the red foxes at the zoo are spayed and neutered, they share an intimate emotional bond with each other. Not to mention, how adorable they are!
Nicole Sannes


Sandhill cranes
I Never have a Favorite Animal
When I was younger, I could never pick a favorite animal. I thought that they all were amazing in their own ways and that stays with me today. Meeting and interacting with animals has been an experience I don't want to forget. When I was asked what was my favorite animal and why, I couldn't just pick one.

I love bears because they are so strong. I love the birds because of their calls. And it's a given that all the animals are cute. My mind kept going around like that, so I had to say that I never have had a favorite animal.
Bibiana Castillon









Thank you to the Clubhouse Grill for providing an amazing lunch to all
our students, mentors and staff. 

2 comments:

JIll Myers said...

Interesting picture sand posts today girls! It has been such a joyful experience to watch you grow each day. Your keen observational skills, sharp intellect and warm personalities will be an asset to you in whatever you choose as your careers.

Marianne Lins said...

These girls are amazing, and SMART. Don't let them fool you if they are a little quiet - they are always thinking, and retaining information. I'm so impressed by their communication of thoughts and information. These young ladies KNOW what they want, and that's a lot more than I can say about myself at that age. I'm honored to be part of this program.

Day 5 - The Zoo Experience

The Last Day Today was the last day of the week-long Zoo Experience camp at the Big Bear Alpine Zoo. After a morning spent with the zookeep...